Do I Need a Tooth Extraction?
Tooth extractions are usually a last resort. Our dentists only perform this procedure when:
- A tooth is too badly damaged to restore
- When leaving a tooth in your mouth would cause more harm than good
Our professional dentists will assess your situation and determine the appropriate course of action. Some common reasons people need these procedures include:
- Excessive crowding. Sometimes, you need to get a tooth pulled because it’s interrupting the position of your other teeth.
- Chipped or cracked teeth. A crown might not be the right choice for a broken tooth. If this is the case, extraction may be necessary.
- General decay, gingivitis, or periodontal disease. Poor oral hygiene can lead to irreversible damage that only a tooth extraction can fix.
Types of Tooth Extractions
The two main types of extractions are:
- Simple extraction. This is the more basic procedure. Your dentist will perform it with the help of local anesthesia. Most patients don’t experience pain but might feel slight pressure.
- Surgical extraction. A dentist will use this option for teeth that are hard to reach (such as molars). The surgical route calls for both local and intravenous anesthesia. If the patient needs to be unconscious the entire time, they may also receive general anesthesia.
Although a tooth extraction might sound scary, it is a very safe procedure. Rare side effects a patient might experience include:
- A persistent cough
- General nausea
- Treated area is red and swollen
- Bleeding at the treated area lasts for more than 12 hours
The benefits far outweigh the small chance of complications. A few ways the procedure can help include:
- Makes orthodontic treatment more effective
- Gives room for your other teeth to sit and grow
- Alleviates symptoms of infection (mouth pain, bad breath, etc.)
- Helps prevent future infections
As a tooth extraction is a minor and safe procedure, patients should take the recovery process seriously. Everyone case is different, but most are fully healed within a couple of days. Our expert team will provide you with thorough instructions to ensure a speedy recovery.
Contact Us Today
For this procedure, you want an empathetic, qualified team at the wheel. Contact us today to schedule your appointment with a team in NW, Calgary that you can trust.