Afraid to See the Dentist? There are Ways to Overcome Your Fear of the Dentist
You should see a dentist regularly for check-ups; at least once a year. However, if you are like thousands of Canadians, you may be stretching out that yearly requirement or not going at all. It is not because you do not care; it is because you suffer from anxiety when you think about slipping into the dentist’s chair. You are not alone. If you have been avoiding the dentist for several years, the longer you wait, the more that anxiety can build up. The good news is, there are things you can do to Overcome Your Fear of the Dentist and your dentists in NW Calgary can also help.
Understanding Dental Phobia
It is a real condition and there are people around the country suffering from it. In fact, there was one woman that avoided the dentist for 20 years simply because she was afraid to go to the dentist. For some individuals, they get nervous, other people can become extremely nauseous and some will even suffer from extreme panic attacks at the thought of going to an appointment.
There are some common factors that cause this anxiety, including:
- Fear of the unknown. For some, it is not the dentist’s chair or office; instead, it is the fear of the unknown. They do not know if cavities will be discovered, what their cleaning will feel like or who the dentist will be. All of these “unknowns” keep a person away from the dentist’s office for years.
- Fear of dental equipment. Sometimes it is the dental equipment that causes fear. The equipment can be noisy, sharp-looking and it is made from metal. However, if these items scare you, you can ask to hold them or look at them first. Your dentist will have no problem explaining what each tool does.
- Gag reflexes. Some people do have sensitive gag reflexes and when items are put into their mouths, they feel as though they could throw up. If you have this issue, let your dentist know. Modern dental offices will carry equipment designed to be less intrusive on your mouth.
There is no need to fear a dentist. When you return for your first visit after an extended period of time away, there are a few things you can expect:
- Your first teeth cleaning in a NW Calgary dental office will take longer, only because you will have more plaque deposits to clean off and more in-depth x-rays to take.
- The possibility of cavities. If it has been years, prepare yourself to find some cavities. That way if you do not, you can walk away pleasantly surprised.
- A small amount of discomfort especially as you get used to the dentist’s chair again or get to know a new dentist.
Schedule your visit with Dentrix Dental Care and learn to overcome your fear of the dentist. Dentrix Dental Care offers sedation dentistry as well as a comforting environment so that you can enjoy your next visit. Book your appointment online now or call 403-288-5500 for Market Mall and 403-289-9908 for our North Hill office.