IV Sedation Right for You? IV Sedation Calgary NW
IV sedation or “sleep dentistry” is a commonly used term you are likely to hear in dental clinics across northwest Calgary, but it is rarely understood properly by most patients. Often patients assume that IV Sedation Calgary NW means they will be put to sleep, but in reality, most patients are still conscious during their procedures. However, patients may not be able to feel everything during their procedure, because the sedation therapy will put the patient into a state of deep relaxation.
Why Sedation is Recommended by Dentists in Calgary
Dental clinics in Northwest Calgary will use sedation for multiple reasons, including:
- Patients with a fear of dental work or treatments
- Difficulty in trying to desensitize the patient’s mouth and numb it for dental work
- Complex dental problems, or for patients requiring oral surgery
- A patient with extremely sensitive teeth
- A patient that has avoided the dental office due to severe anxiety
Sedation dentistry is most commonly used for patients who suffer from dental anxiety, and that is a real condition. These individuals may become panic-stricken at the mere thought of visiting the dentist, and IV sedation can
- help control that anxiety.
How Does IV Sedation Work?
IV sedation is safe and effective. Sedative drugs are used to help put you into a relaxed state that is constantly monitored throughout the procedure. Sedation can also allow your dentist to perform multiple procedures at once, limiting how many times you have to return to the dentist in the future. The IV will be started by a licensed anesthesiologist and you will be in a state of deep relaxation, but not asleep.
Some benefits to using IV sedation include:
- It gives you the opportunity to relax
- You will have little to no memory of your appointment or the experience itself
- You will not remember smells or sounds
- The sedation will last five to six hours post-procedure, allowing you to further relax afterwards
- Complex dental treatments that typically require multiple appointments will be done in one to two visits to help reduce the anxiety
- If you have difficulty becoming numb, IV Sedation Calgary NW can help you receive dental treatments without the issue of numbing agents
- You will not feel pain with IV sedation
Because IV sedation is very strong, you will need someone to drive you home after the procedure.
If you have a fear of dental procedures or traditional numbing agents have never worked for you, Dentrix Dental Care can provide IV sedation NW Calgary. Dentrix Dental Care can help you feel more relaxed. Contact one of our dentists in Calgary today for an appointment. Call us at our North Hill or Market Mall dental clinics or book your appointment online.